Friday, February 05, 2010

PDD exhibition

The final exhibition for me in NYP... Presenting PDD product: Fruit-Flavoured Snowskin Mooncake.

Even though we're only two in a group. Even though we're of different race. Even though we have clashes of timetable. Even though we kept failing during our trial. I'm glad that it ended well afterall, with our product being accepted by the visitor.

Very simple set up for our 'booth'... A poster, 3 tentage, traditional mooncake mould, rolling pin, our mooncake samples and the poster.




Even though evaluation didn't seem to go well, which had affected me quite a lot, but all it took was a visitor to boost my confident about my own product.

Had an interesting conversation with that lady. Learn quite a lot from her, just from that short conversation. Was happy that she's interested in our product and had make her way directly to our booth even though it was 'in e corner'.

I didn't know that mango is a high calories food aka 'fattening food'.
I didn't know that the ang mo prefer eating fruits like rock melon n watermelons over mango.

I guess, our objectives and the targeted group help us with the direction we want to go for our product. Though both of us know nothing much about the snowskin mooncake in the market, nor had we tried any snowskin mooncake before, we manage to pull through.

Having to target the youth and young adult as well as the non-chinese kinda justify our product and got agreement from the public. By targeting to share a traditional chinese snack with the non-chinese, as well as to promote this to other countries.

A fruit-paste snowskin mooncake.

Not like those ice-cream snowskin mooncake nor the traditional bean-paste baked mooncake. Ours is like an in between? As of our objective, to retain the traditional mooncake as well as to make it our very own... I guess, we have met it.

Really have to thank popo for helping me out for that 1 week... From the last minute trial on last thurs to monday when we did e mass production of 76 mooncakes in 3.5 hrs... Helping me out with cooking of the filling to get the ideal version. She even ask me about the exhibition after it ended.


I was really happy, when a fellow coursemate who tried my mooncake said that my mooncake skin is better and softer compared to another group (yr 1). For the past trial, the lab assistant been telling me how much better the other group was. I was pretty dejected as it seem that I can do a better job compare to the yr 1. Trials kept failing despite to the changes and improvement made.

I tried the other group's mooncake. Similar to ours, they had made snowskin mooncake as well, just that their is milo skin with chocolate and nuts filling. Indeed, their skin is much harder, despite it no longer being cold aka rm temperature. Whereas our is still soft even though we removed from the fridge not long ago.

Lecturers and schmate reflected that they like the filling, that the fillings is good. Some had told me that they like the skin. I'm surprise, because to me, the skin was still not up to standard yet.

Perhaps, failure does lead to success in the end?



P.S. To be truthful, I have yet to try my own product, despite having to work on it for weeks already @.@

1 comment:

jaws said...

Just my opinion ... ...
1) Dun like the poster ... the presentation like not pro bcos information were pasted at different directions, like vy messy, and thus not easy to read if it was in a neat manner.
2) I tasted the mooncake, and I liked the melon one. Good effort. Hey! As the 'chef', u must always taste yr food b4 others.
3) Popo, although can be -ve and naggy sometimes, cares a lot abt us. I dun tink she will and can read yr blog, so hope tt u did thank her personally.
4) Eh, I also contributed a little bit hor ... ... even though the recipe didn't work ... hahahahaha.

Good work! Jiayou for your final yr!